Wednesday, April 8, 2009




You already know that I am not extremely computer savvy, so the pictures are going to stay where they loaded--if you want to move them & send them back in a more logical pattern, I don't have a problem with that.
The first, of course, are the Ranch house, recently and long ago. Granddad & Grandma Stobie purchased the Ranch in 1910. From what I understand, they were actually staying in Sunnyside, WA at the time & the 2 oldest boys, James & Herbert took care of the purchase. I don't think they ever really moved to Sunnyside and before they moved to the Ranch at the foot of Cook Mountain, they had lived near Mt. Baldy, not that far away--today that is, but a mile on horseback or buggy is a lot farther than a mile in a car. Notice when the first picture was taken, there were a lot more trees close to the house than there are today--looks like there were deciduous as well as pine.
There are a couple of people in the picture that I cannot identify, but will do the best I can. Stuart (Grandma Stobie's brother's son, who Stobies adopted) is the one with the dog and Victor, Grandma French's youngest brother, is the one with his hands in his pockets talking to him. I don't know who the next man to the right is nor the woman on the ground, but I'm almost sure the next 2 people are Pop & Grandma, with Grandma & Granddad Stobie at the far right. (If Robin reads this, maybe she knows who the other 2 are.)
The bottom picture is of Pop and Grandma on their wedding day; I have their wedding certificate and a few pictures from their honeymoon to Yellowstone. They took Grandma's 2 best friends, Bertha and Mae (May?), with them on their honeymoon & I guess neither Mother nor Anna May had the nerve to ask why. I do believe they're the only people I ever knew who had chaperones on their honeymoon.
The other picture is, obviously, an old Indian with Anna May, Mother & Jim. I believe his name was Charlie and he was a pretty regular visitor at the Ranch; in fact, he may have boarded there part of the time. Again, I'm surprised about how many trees were so close to the house. At this time, of course, Grandma & Pop lived in Plains and Granddad & Grandma lived at the Ranch. I think that Victor and Ruth were living at the "Dude Ranch" which was a little farther up Thompson River. Not much left of it now--just a few old crumbled, mostly fallen, log cabins. Victor was an outfitter and guide. He had quite a few "bigwigs" from back east as regular clients. A couple of years ago Victo gave me a copy of one of his advertising brochures, showing quite a "lineup" of dead deer that they had shot.
Herbert & James were both dead by the time the picture of Charlie & kids was taken. James had been gassed while in France during World War 1. He was brought back to New York and I think that Granddad, Grandma Stobie & Grandma French all went there to see him while in the hospital. Unfortunately, he never made it home to the place he wrote so lovingly about in his letters. Herbert was hunting and the gun being carried by his packhorse fired when the horse jumped a fence and he died from gangrene poisoning. 
That's not a very happy note to close on, but that's all I have for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment